Outlook Church

Outlook Church

Sunday 18 January 2015

Seven ways to put Jesus first - Part 1 - Putting Jesus First in your heart


Well, it is a great privilege to be preaching God’s word, I missed the last four or five weeks, I was on holiday. It was quite an interesting experience, sitting in row five and being a part of the church on a Sunday, and part of me is saying: “Oh God I want to get back there, and back in front of the pulpit, it is such a great privilege to be able to preach and share God’s word. So, what we are going to do from this morning and for the next six weeks to come, I’m going to preach a series called: “Seven ways to put Jesus First.” Another way of putting the title, it might be something like this: “Seven ways we can reorder our lives.” And we are going to look at different parts of our lives, how do we reorder our lives to get Jesus into first place. Because here is a thing, when Jesus is first, God takes care of the rest. That is a big principle I want to get a hold of, and I am absolutely convinced, we make the faith decision to say: “Jesus, I want you to be first in this area of my life.” When Jesus is first, God takes care of the rest. If we choose to put something else in its place, then we must take of it, with disastrous consequences normally. My favourite verse, or one of them, my life scriptures, we are going to talk about them over and over again. It’s that verse in Matthew chapter sixe verse thirty three. Jesus has been talking about money, but I believe it’s more than just money.

 He said: “33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, “ Put first, first place, first priority, first thing in your life, put Jesus first. “and all these things will be given to you as well “I think this is a great life scripture to hold onto. And I want to see how we can take this verse, and we are going to look at different aspects and areas of our lives. To say okay Lord, how in this part of my life. We are going to look today at first in our heart. Next week, we are going to look at what about first in our day. And then we are going to look at what about first in our week. First in our finance, first in our family, first in our talents, first in our identity. Here is my thinking. If we can get two thousand and fifteen off to a start of putting Jesus very strategically and intentionally, in every area of our lives, Jesus I’m going to put you first and let us see what happens. I trust God that each of us would make that decision Jesus, this year; I am going to put you absolutely, unequivocally number one spot. I guarantee we are going to have a mazing year. Let us see how it goes. So, this morning, putting Jesus first in our heart. I want you to think back or maybe, hopefully, you do not have to think very far, but can you think of when you were most in love? I want you to think for a moment of when you were absolutely head over heels in love.

 Some of you might have to go way back, well, whatever. Think about of when you have those emotions inside of you just flowing and squelching, and all those things that emotions do. Here is the reality; it is not an issue or an effort to please the person you love. In fact, when you are madly in love, your whole life is about trying to please that person you are in love with. It does not take energy, it does not take effort, it is just your delight. You start doing crazy things, you get really brave you buy flowers or you try to write poetry. Here is the thing. Love is the most powerful, motivating force in the world. I remember with Kate, my wife, and I was living separate lives. I was in Johannesburg, and she was in Durban, and we would spend hours on the phone to each other. Kate and I am not big talker, I do not even know what we spoke about for hours on the phone. But somehow, when you are in love, it is like you put down the phone, no you put down the phone. I remember it was every second weekend, driving up and down between Durban and Johannesburg, you are not counting the price of the cost, and all you are seeing is the privilege of being in love. Being in love is the most powerful, motivating force in the world. And here is the big point I want to make today. Is that I believe that God has created and designed us for such a relationship with His Son Jesus Christ. God has designed us in such a way that if we could live rather than following a religion or some set of rules, but rather, if we could live our lives having such a love relationship with Jesus, then following Jesus would not be a burden. Obeying Jesus would not be heaviness; our whole lives would be transformed by the power of Jesus. Because we just love Him and love being with Him. And that is the power of what it means to have Jesus first in your heart, first in your affection. So, the question is why would God want, why is it such a big thing for God that we would love Him with all of our heart. Look at the ten Commandments, the first commandment, there is no other God but Me.

It’s all about God first. We are going to read in a moment the key text, where Jesus said love the Lord with all your heart, why is it such a big thing that we would put Him as number one. Well, it is not because God is insecure. It is not because that God is in any way needy. In fact, God does not need us at all, but God knows that for our lives to work best, we need Him in number spot. For our lives to truly count, for our lives to fulfil that destiny plan, for our lives to be transformed and empowered, it only happens when Jesus is in first place. And that is why it is so powerful. Here is a thing: when you really love someone or something, obedience is just natural. Let us take another example, what if you just absolutely loved fishing. Well, at four o’clock in the morning, your alarm clock might go off, and what is your response? Oh no, I have to go fishing today. I hate fishing. But if you love fishing, you cannot wait for the alarm to go at four, and it is out of bed, grab some coffee; grab some bait, in the boat, in the water. You love it that is what you do.

My dear wife Kate is not a morning person. She has never been a morning person. And she loves running, and she is planning to do that two oceans marathon. Now, at four thirty in the morning, my wife who does not like mornings, loves running. Out of bed, bounces out of bed at four thirty in the morning. I have to go run why? Because when you love something, you naturally obey. And here is a thing: God wants us to obey Him. We are not saved by following laws but, God’s word brings healing. God’s word brings life. God’s word brings Him glory and honour. God’s word transforms us, God’s word brings prosperity. And God wants us to be a people who follow Him and follow His word. Not because we have to, but because we want to, because we love Jesus so much. That is why loving Jesus is so important. We think about Jesus himself. Why did he to the cross for you and I? In the garden of Gethsemane, He was praying: “Oh Lord, if there is a way of taking this cup away from me, but not my will, Your will be done.” Such was Jesus’ love for His father that he was willing to be obedient, even to the point of death. It says not that we love Him, but He loves us and gave Himself for us. Willingly sacrificed because He loves us so much. The disciples recalled Jesus when he went into the temple one day, they were buying and selling, it was like a market place and Jesus takes a whip and drives people out, overturns the tables, it was chaos, and the disciples remembered it says: “Zeal for your house consumes me.”

Such was Jesus’ love for His father and His Father’s house; He could take it that the temple would be desecrated in such a way. Love is a very powerful thing, and that is how God wants us to serve Him. Loving Jesus makes it easy to obey Him. Loving Jesus makes it easier to overcome sin. Loving Jesus makes it easier to sacrifice. I remember the early days of when I became a believer way back in nineteen eighty nine, when I gave my life to Jesus, and suddenly there were new passions inside. God put such a love inside me I just wanted to read the Bible. I have never read it before, suddenly there was this hunger inside me, suddenly I want to go to church every night to all the different things the church is doing. Suddenly I want to love people, I used to think they are weird. I remember me taping with my little tape cassette, those preaching tapes off the radio. I used to tape those things because I had such a passion inside. When you love Jesus, there is a hunger inside of you for Him and for obeying Him.

 Here is the text I want to read this morning, Mark chapter twelve verses twenty eight to thirty four, it says: “28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[f]31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’[g] There is no commandment greater than these.”32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbour as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions.”

I want to focus this morning, and just getting really practical then, I have convinced you of how and why it is so important that Jesus has first place in our heart. But how do you realign your heart? How do you get a screwdriver and make the adjustments. Let us say are you a five out of ten, in terms of loving Jesus if you were honest, how do get from a five out of ten  to an eight or nine out of ten. Or maybe you are a seven or an eight out of ten, how do you get it all the way to ten? Maybe, you are sitting in the back row, maybe you are a one out of ten, and you must be dragged to church against your will. How do you get to at least a five out of ten? What can we do? I want to be practical, what can we do to love Jesus more? What can we do to put Jesus first place in our heart? I’m going to mention five things. You do not have to remember them because not all of them apply to you. But I am hoping that at least one of them would jump out and say, that is me. And if so, then I pray that you would make that adjustment. Here is the first one:

1.      1John chapter four verses nineteen: 19 We love because he first loved us.”  This little verse, it is so short but it had such an amazing impact in my life. We love, we love God, and we love others because He first loved us. So, what that tells me is that unless we have experienced God’s love, we will never be able to love Him back the way we should. It is as if your hearts is like a mirror, and if the mirror of our hearts is actually turned and focused on God’s love, will never be able to reflect that back to Him or to others. So, if we are going to grow from a five to a ten, if we are going to increase our love for Jesus, the place to start is to experience God’s love more and more. Many people grow up with a Christian background, they might have gone to church when they were young, and they have learnt to be religious and to do religious things. The know about God, but the problem with religion is that it keeps Jesus at arm’s length, where we can control things. Have to do this, have to do that, and it is all about doing things rather than entering into a true, loving relationship with God. And sometimes because it is based on religion is what we do to please God, we sometimes end up we know that God is a bit disappointed in us, or we sometimes live with a sense of condemnation or unworthiness, because God must by now be fed – up with me.

2.      So, our hearts can become closed, and we do not get to enjoy God’s love. And remember if God’s love is not going in, then God’s love in not going to come out. We love because He first loved us. Here is what I am asking all of us to do. God loves you not because of you. Not because you are lovely, not because you are worthy, not because you deserve His love, but God loves you because of who He is. It says God is love. That means His unconditional love. And God wants you to just open up your heart and let His love flow in. Sometimes we can be hurt and disappointed and all we do is sometimes build walls and fences around our houses, we build them around our hearts as well. And so if you want to have access, you push the And sometimes we have a relationship with God and you say God, you can push the buzzer outside. Imagine if you start the year d say God, I want to open my heart to you and let you love me. The more we experience His love, the more our love for Him begins to grow. I really want to invite some of you this morning who has never truly to experience His love, to take that risk. I remember, growing up, I have been to church and have done the youth things, but it never changed my life. But on that fateful day, nineteenth of  August nineteen eighty nine, that was the day and I remember praying and I remember I went to the altar and there was a real sense of “Okay Lord, I’m going to really let you in this time.” And I really let Jesus in, when His love penetrated, that is when love for Jesus exploded.
3.   How do we put Jesus first? This is a story about a sinful woman, that was how she was described. Now, use your imagination, I do not know what she did, but she but she was known as a very sinful woman. She had a reputation around the town, so she hears about Jesus, who is having lunch at a particular person’s house. She comes to the house with a bottle of expensive perfume, she breaks it and pours it on Jesus’ feet, she is weeping she has a brokenness in her as she is weeping, tears are flowing. She lets her tears fall on Jesus’ feet, she takes her hair from all those times of brushing and cleaning, she takes her hair with the dust, salt, and tear  infected feet, and she begins to wipe them to wipe them and clean them. This is an incredible display of her love for Jesus. The disciples, they see this and say” What are you doing, do you know who she is? You are supposed to be holy and unclean, do not let her touch you.” Judas looks at all the money that was wasted and say: “Oh, what a waste.” Jesus’ response is very different. He says in Luke chapter seven verse forty seven: “47 Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.” Think about that for a moment. She knew that that she was a sinful woman, who needed lots of forgiving, and the result was, she loved a lot. I’m going to ask you a question.

Has God needed to forgive a lot, or has God needed to forgive you a little. You might be sitting next to you, looking at the person next to you. Look at Brian, compared to Brian, God you do not have to forgive me much. Here is a thing, religious people look around at other people and say, “actually God, you probably do not have to forgive me much.” That is why religious people do not have a passionate love relationship with Jesus. But here is a thing. When we understand that it is not about me and my righteousness, but when we get a revelation of the holiness of God. So let me tell you, maybe compared to the person sitting next to you, you have not done as badly as them. But compared to the holiness and splendour and beauty of Jesus, all of us, need a lot of forgiving. An amazing thing happened with Paul. Paul, that great apostle who wrote most of the New Testament, he was a very religious person, everything he worked hard on self – righteousness, he would do everything right, all his ducks were in a row. He obeyed all of the law. In fact, God, there is nothing to forgive me of because I am just doing it all right. Then, he met Jesus. And after his encounter with Jesus, this man who had done nothing wrong, suddenly he said; “But in me, the worst of sinners.” Is not that amazing? Someone who was self - righteous encounters Jesus, and now it is I am the worst of sinners. I think I can argue with Paul, about that one. I have a feeling that I am worse than him. I know my heart, and you know your heart, but here is a thing. When we understand oh God, just how badly I need a saviour. We begin to see the power of the cross in a new way. You see, if you think you have not done much wrong, then you do not really need the power of the cross. But when you say oh God, I need that bread, that wine, symbolizing Jesus’ body and blood, recognizing Jesus’ death and resurrection, I need that. Those who have been forgiven much love much. Maybe this morning, what you need is a fresh glimpse of the wonder of the cross. Of Jesus. Compared to Jesus, all of us are dirty rotten sinners, and all of us are in desperate need of the saving blood of Jesus.

4.      How do we put Jesus first? Well, here is an interesting verse in Romans chapter twelve verse eleven: “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervour how? Serving the Lord.” Here is something, that people who are passionate about Jesus and live lives in continual passion of Jesus, they have discovered, you have to take that passion and use it to serve God by loving others. Something happens when we give our lives in humble service to other people, it is like something gets stirred up inside us. I want to encourage church, every one of us, to consider ourselves apart of Outlook Church, I would love you, this year, if you have not been actively involved in somehow serving, and this is the year to get involved. We joke about a money back guarantee of all our outreach trips. We say if you come along with us on a trip and God does not meet with you, and change your life in some way, then we will refund your money. Unfortunately, no one has claimed their money back. Because here is a thing, when we step out in obedience, to serve, and go, and to do what Jesus has called us to do, something comes alive inside of us. That is talking about my trips, but that is the same thing right here. We have another service at the municipality, at one o’ clock today, every Sunday, we have a service for the homeless people. We serve lunch, and we preach the word, and we have a church meeting with them. A couple of weeks ago, Adam my youngest son, I said to Adam why do you not come with me? “He said, Dad, I do not know.” He is a bit nervous, so I said come along with me. So, he comes along with me to that church meeting at the municipality, we are just sitting and having lunch with some of the homeless people just talking and chatting, Adam said: “Dad, that was amazing, can I come with you again?” Something comes alive when we begin to step out and serve Jesus. So, here is a new year’s resolution, if you are not in somehow involved right now, I want to encourage you to get involved in serving in some capacity.

5.   Sometimes it takes a real step of repentance. There is a scripture in Revelation chapter two verses four and five, when Jesus spoke to the churches, he said: “Yet this I hold against you. You have forsaken your first love. Remember the height from you have fallen. Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place.” We fall into a dangerous condition when we get so into the rhythm and routine of serving Jesus, of doing the church thing, of going through the motions of being a Christian, but we have lost that first love for Jesus. And what Jesus says here is: “I want you to repent. I do not want you to settle for just doing Christian stuff without having a passion for Jesus inside. I want you to repent and do the things you did at first.” Now I remember I just want to be where Jesus was, I just want to spend time with God. I just want to love people; I just want to serve Him. Do the things you did at first. It is a strong word that says, you have forsaken your first love. Sometimes we are just neglecting our relationship with Jesus, getting distracting with business or the world, or life or this or the kids or that, and we neglect our love for Jesus. If that is you this morning, God’s word to you is; repent. He wants you to come back to that place of the fire of love for Jesus burning brightly inside of you.

6.   Give your treasures to God, and your love will follow. Do you know that your treasure and your heart are linked? Jesus said it clearly in Matthew chapter six verse twenty one: “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” What do you treasure most? Are you a money person, or is it a relationship, or is there a possession? What is it that is the greatest treasure in your life? Or, is it your relationship with Jesus? Because whatever your greatest treasure is, that is what your heart is going to be connected to. And the danger is as soon as we elevate anything to be a greater treasure than Jesus, well, the Bible calls that idolatry. Listen to this encounter, God spoke to Abraham in Genesis chapter fifteen, it says: “After this the word of the Lord came to Abraham, I am your shield and your very great reward. But he said what will you give me, since I am childless, and the one who inherits my estate is Eleazar of Damascus.”  Abraham made a big mistake. God came to Abraham and said: “Abraham, I am your shield, I am your reward. In other words, I am your treasure. Abraham said oh God, what can you give me? God said I will give you that son, I promised I would, and guess what happened? Abraham gets his son, what he has just revealed right here, what is his heart really inclined to? Maybe his son rather his reward who is God. So, what has God have to do? God said to Abraham one day: “Abraham, I want you to take your son and sacrifice him on the mountain. What happened to Abraham is he fell into the trap of letting himself to treasure something more than what he treasured God. So, God had to put him to the test. He passed the test, and God poured out His blessing. My encouragement to all of us is let us not fall into that trap. Our treasure is Jesus. We sing that song Christ is enough for me. My question always is, is that true of your life? Is Jesus really enough? The power of God flows through our lives when we are passionately in love with Jesus. It is so much easier to obey Him. It is so much easier to serve Him, it is so much easier to love others, it is so much easier for God to change us and mould us when our hearts are inclined to Him. Church, my challenge for the year, is let us starting off by putting Jesus as number one. And I will ask you now, is Jesus really number one in everything. In your heart, has He got first place? Put Jesus first, and God takes care of the rest. 

Senior Pastor: Brent Brading
Webite URL: Outlook Church

No comments:

Post a Comment